Digital revolution has given endless opportunities to us, and we have come across many technological terms associated with it. One such term is file hosting. It is important to know what is file hosting and its benefits as it will help you to manage yourself better.
File Hosting is a storage service for different types of data over the internet. It should be understood in a perspective that people initially used to save the files in computer hard disks and other storage devices. It was not easy if they wanted to access those files from a different device or computer. Because there are some frequently required documents for everyone like a soft copy of certificates, ID cards, government documents, a service that can ensure easy retrieval of those would really save people in crunch situations. File hosting services facilitate that purpose; most of the file hosting services are working over the internet and enable you to access it from anywhere in the world. They not only host document files but media files, zip files, and any other type of data.
How does it Work?
Most of the file hosting services work in such a way that they have a hosting website and for the access, you will get a username and password. Once the user accesses his account, he can upload his documents directly into its web server. Later he can access the account again from anywhere in the world and download those documents for the use. If the user thinks that some of the files are no longer necessary, he can delete it. Many of the file hosting services are free, and there are some additional services like content displaying services also provided by the service providers.
Advantages of File Hosting
- It helps you to access your documents from any computer
- It serves as a backup and even if your original files lost from your computer, you would still lose nothing.
- It helps you in emergency situations. If you are in an urgent need of files, you can easily get them over the internet.
- It has been noted that large files can’t easily be attached in email communication, and file hosting services can be helpful in sending such files over the network.
- You don’t need to install any software or applications. Instead, you do everything with a web browser.
- Many of the service providers provide both HTTP and FTP access to the stored files which increases accessibility.
- It also enables many people to access files via sharing services.
Is it different from Cloud Storage?
It is more or less same. But cloud storage is found to be providing additional options like online editing and better managing of files. However, for personal data storage, it is recommended to use file hosting due to its simplicity, easy to register, easy to operate and retrieve over other storage services. Additionally, cloud storage can be termed as an advanced form of file hosting and should be fitted within the query of what is file hosting.
It is quite evident that technology has changed the pace of our lives tremendously. We should be quick learners and early users of new technologies to reap the benefits of it, as humans have enormous ability to advance comparing with other species. It helps us to live and let live in a better way.